Purpose of Role
The Design Engineering Manager is responsible for delivering safe, fit for purpose, accurate designs to cost and programme. Including a thorough approach with attention to detail and the ability to recognise and minimise risks. The role will supervise, monitor and technically direct resources to ensure all designs are completed to cost, design and other standards. Manage the department to ensure a stable and competent design resource is in place to support the ongoing development of the business.
- Directs and supervises the activities of assigned personnel in the department.
- Ensure robust checking and approval procedures are in place.
- Determines requirements, supervises and participates in the preparation of specifications and drawings and discusses the same with the Project Teams.
- Day to day management and resourcing of the design team.
- Responsible for training and personal development of personnel.
- Undertake the role of lead design engineer on major projects.
- Ensure high standards of quality and efficiency are maintained and client’s requirements are met through compliance with ISO9001 quality procedures, appropriate checking and verification and the application of effective controls.
- Design estimating.
- Ensure effective cost and programme controls are in place.
Skills & Experience
- Degree level in an Engineering or Technical discipline
- Chartered Engineer or Further training/qualification in relevant discipline
- Track record in an Engineering or Technical Management role.
- Working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Dealing with staff at all levels.
- Experienced user of Inventor, Solidworks or equivalent.
- Proficient in the use of in-house management systems.
- Working within the oil & gas or energy industries.
- Working within the drilling, solids control or drilling fluids areas.
- Working in a design engineering role.
- Highly organised.
- Drive and dedication.
- Ability to maintain efficient running of several operations.
- Ability to work independently.
- Effective leader and team player.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel to national & international places of work.
Complying with Procedures
- Ensure that all operations comply with the Company and Client operating policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all operations comply with the Company Health and Safety policy.
- Be aware of company conditions of employment as detailed in the Employee Handbook.
- Liaise with the HR Department to assure compliance with current employment law legislation and contract of employment.
- Keep up to date with other current legislation, legal requirements and regulations that apply to the company.
Note: The duties as described herein are intended as a guide only, and it should be understood that operational demands may at times necessitate that an employee performs duties not included in this description.